Do you have a child that loves to read? Do you want a birthday party theme that doesn’t focus on sugar or toys? Here are fun book-themed birthday party ideas for your little bookworms, plus a big prize pack giveaway!
Disclosure: I received a complimentary party pack from Brightly for review purposes; however, all opinions are my own.
Book-Themed Birthday Party Ideas
If your child loves to read as much as mine do, a book-themed birthday party would be a big hit! It is a great way to celebrate a love of reading with your child and have some fun with a beloved character. And don’t forget to enter the big giveaway at the end from Brightly, a fabulous website for raising kids who love to read. In addition to loads of literacy articles and reading lists, in honor of the website’s first birthday, the folks at Brightly have gathered together resources to help YOU throw a book-themed birthday party, easy peasy!
Here’s everything you need:
1. Theme. The most important step, of course, is to pick which book or series you are going to feature! Ideally, choose one that the other kids at the party will also be familiar with. (If your child really wants one that other kids won’t know, you can still make it work, as they will still enjoy the games and activities, though they might not get all the references). Brightly has party packs and guides for many favorite characters, such as Madeline and even Elmo. Spaceships and Laser Beams also has tons of great party theme ideas, including book based ones like Harry Potter and The Little Prince. Tip Junkie has compiled an incredible list of 40 children’s book party themes, and Growing Book by Book has an entire Pinterest board dedicated to book party ideas!
2. Invitations. Use cute invitations for your theme, like these Duck and Goose ones. Invitations are a great way to build excitement and ensure that your little guests know what kind of party to expect. If there are kids that aren’t familiar with your book theme, it also gives them a chance to read it before the party.
3. Decorations. What better way to set a mood than with themed decorations? Brightly’s party packs come with ready made decorations like banners, plus you can add balloons and streamers in matching colors. I also love these creations ideas for recycling old book pages, plus you can find even more ideas here! Be sure to set out copies of the theme books. You could even include a reading corner!
4. Games. There are so many great book-based party games out there. I love the fun games available in Brightly’s printables section! I especially like that they work for a range of ages: there are crafts and simple games that even little ones can do, plus mazes and word games for older kids. You could ask kids to come dressed as their favorite character from the book, and older kids could play book-themed charades. And don’t forget a piñata, like this DIY Gruffalo one from Mud Hut Mama!
5. Food. Maybe it’s just because I love to eat, but I think food can be one of the most fun parts of a party! You can really let your imagination go wild in coming up with book-related creations. Check out these Gruffalo themed ideas! You can find more food ideas from classic books here. Love that Hungry Caterpillar cake!
6. Gifts and Favors. Well, books, of course! They work well as presents for the birthday child and favors for guests. The Chirping Moms have great book themed birthday party ideas, including putting customized bookplates in the books you use as favors. More creative favor ideas here, including “book worms”! You can find fab birthday book recommendations from Brightly, plus I love these from Growing Book by Book. You can find even more on my Books for Kids Pinterest board.
Inspired to make your next kid’s party a book-based one? Share your inspiration in the comments, and find even more birthday party ideas on my Pinterest board!
Birthday Pack Giveaway from Brightly
And now for our big giveaway! One lucky US winner will win a birthday prize pack that includes a Brightly tote bag, books featured in Brightly’s birthday articles, Brightly balloons, party hats, and a poster of their birthday illustration. Enter below for a chance to win!